The Linslerhof - History
The Linslerhof - Through the ages
The first documented mention of the Linslerhof dates to the year 1154. A document that proves that the Linslerhof was gifted by knight Adalbert and his mother Juttha has been handed down through the centuries; they transferred ownership of the estate to the monastery in Fraulautern. The gift had a condition for the Abbesses, they had to hold three masses at the Linslerhof’s chapel. The mass days soon became pilgrimage days, on which Frauleutern’s nuns drove up to the estate in their carriages.
A market was even set up, and a ball was added later on. There are also stories of riding games, in which the Abbesses gave the quickest rider a bouquet of flowers. The Saturday after Pentecost, on which numerous guests from the county of Saarbrücken and the duchy of Lothringen were welcome at Linslerhof, was especially celebrated.
Even today, numerous riders and horse carriage drivers celebrate the pilgrimage in this tradition with a blessing of the horses at Linslerhof.
Origin of name
In the region, the Saturday after Pentecost is generally known as “Leslertag” or Lesler day (named after the Linslerhof’s nickname, “Leseln”). The meaning behind the name Linslerhof is explained by the linguistic usage of its time of origin. Linslerhof and the historical, customary abbreviation Linsel or Lesel, mean the following in this day and age when translated: Lime trees by the water or country by the swamp.
The Linslerhof - Under the ownership of the Boch-Galhau Family
The Fraulautern monastery was dissolved in 1789, and the Linslerhof was initially nationalised and then publicly auctioned in 1791. There is a story from 1821 that mentions a household of 12 people at Linslerhof. When it came to livestock, it mentioned 10 horses, 17 cattle, and an unspecified number of small animals. At the time, the estate comprised of 605 Lorraine Tagewerke [ancient measurement unit, meaning “a day’s work” 1 Tagewerk = 3,407 square metres]; of which 210 were farmland, 95 were meadows, and 300 fallow land.
Thanks to another auction in 1824, Adolphe de Galhau acquired the estate and expanded it with multiple sandstone buildings.
The construction of the railway in 1880 saw the Linslerhof obtain its own train station. In 1891, the road from Überherrn to Differten was constructed, and fruit trees were planted on both sides of the path to Linslerhof.
At the turn of the century, ownership of the estate was transferred to the Boch-Galhau family via an inheritance. At that time, it comprised of 1,500 Morgen [measurement unit, 1 Morgen = ca. 4047 square metres] of land and an expansive forest and swamp area. The chapel at Linslerhof is described as the oldest pilgrimage chapel dating back to 1153. It was thoroughly renovated in 1995. The altar, interior furnishing, and roof design are credited to Josef and Andreas Guldner from Bisten.
Today, a 4-star "Romantic hotel" in Saarland
In the mid-90s, when the stalls and estate’s manor house stood empty and slowly decayed, Brigitte and Wendelin von Boch-Galhau were faced with the choice of selling the estate or starting a new beginning. Building renovation would not have been worthwhile for agriculture alone. Brigitte von Boch-Galhau took it upon herself to revitalise the estate.
At the beginning of the 90s, the cowsheds were converted into boxes for retired horses. In 1994, a hunting school and an underground shooting range was opened – one of the most modern in Europe at the time. Hunting was taken up as a tradition, and it is said to have already been upheld by Emperor Barbarossa 800 years ago in the Bisttal, rich in game and fish. At the same time as the hunting school, the first rooms were being furnished in an English country house style at the former estate.
Since then, the hotel has made available 62 comfortable rooms, a gorgeous hotel garden, and 3 air-conditioned seminar rooms to its guests. An additional 5 seminar rooms belong to the hunting school.
The former stable was renovated into the comfortable St. Antonius restaurant (80 seats) in October of 1995. A short while later, the neighbouring stallion barn became the rustic Georgstube (up to 90 seats). The stylish St. Hubertus ballroom (80-120 people) with its lovely rose garden and the beer garden below the chestnuts round off the culinary offering.
The agricultural tradition at Linslerhof could be continued thanks to the successful tourist concept. 50 horses graze on the Linslerhof, which today covers a total area of 330 hectares.